Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Sunday Book Review: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer

I should be telling you about the fabulous events of yesterday, but they'll have to wait for another blogging moment. Today I finished Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's the first book I have read that deals with the World Trade Center trauma of 9/11. I've circled around a number of the non-fiction accounts, but have just not been able to bring myself to read them. This story is fiction and wonderfully written. It's one of those works that grabs you on page one and you just don't want to set it aside until you are finished. In fact, I think I will have to put it on my list of all-time favorite books... right up there with A Prayer for Owen Meany and We Were the Mulvaneys.

Oskar Schell is a 9-year-old boy and the primarly narrator of this story. His father was in the World Trade Center on the day the planes hit. When Oskar discovers a key among his father's posessions, he begins a search to find out what it unlocks. His journey takes him all over the city of New York -- alphabetically by first name through everyone with the last name of Black. An enormous tale, perhaps, but told with such originality that it felt completely believable.

It is a captivating journey. Unread letters from Oskar's grandfather to his father tell an even bigger story. His grandparents, both survivors of the bombing of Dresden, tell the story, as well.

I am always amazed when a writer is able to craft words that so perfectly suck you in to the story. Each time I gained a bit of understanding, there was misunderstanding, as well. It was extremely complicated--like life--but not so complicated as to leave me baffled and wanting to quit.

Here's just a bit to give you an idea of Oskar's voice:

It was twelve weekends earlier that I'd gone to visit Abe Black in Coney Island. I'm very idealistic, but I knew I couldn't walk that far, so I took a cab. Even before we were out of Manhattan, I realized that the $7.68 in my wallet wasn't going to be enough. I don't know if you'd count it as a lie or not that I didn't say anything. It's just that I knew I had to get there, and there was no alternative. When the cab driver pulled over in front of the building, the meter said $76.50. I said, "Mr. Mahaltra, are you an optimist or a pessimist?" He said, "What?" I said, "Because unfortunately I only have seven dollars and sixty-eight cents." "Seven dollars?" "And sixty-eight cents." "This is not happening." "Unfortunately, it is. But if you give me your address, I promise I'll send you the rest." He put his head down on the steering wheel. I asked if he was OK. He said, "Keep your seven dollars and sixty-eight cents." I said, "I promise I'll send you the money. I promise." He handed me his card, which was actually the card of a dentist, but he had written his address on the other side. Then he said something in some other language that wasn't French. "Are you mad at me?"


Oskar did send the cab driver the money.

When I finished this story and spent some time wiping away the tears, I thought for a long time about what the story was about. I decided it was a pretty clear moral. It was about living and loving fearlessly. You just never know when your last moment will be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book! I'm ready for a new novel.

I just finished "The Wonder Spot" By Melissa Bank. I almost stalled out during the first chapter, but I kept reading and really enjoyed the book.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good book. You know what you need? You need to find a way to have some sort of link on your blog that takes you to a list of all the books you read/have read and highlight your favorites. And, if possible, a link back to a review you write. Sometimes I copy and paste your information onto my own personal "to read" list, but it's a pain. Sure wish there was a way to just come to your blog page when I was looking for a good read and instantly find your list. Just a thought. I'm really not asking for much:-)really.

Anonymous said...

maybe you could just have a "books I've read" blog and link to it from here. Then people's comments would be on that one. Because sometimes I read what others suggest, too. (Or, at least I think that one day I will read all that everyone recommends:-))

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Categories for my blogs are on on the left side of the page. Under "Entries by Category" click on "book reviews" and that should pull them all up. I've also specifically tagged Kansas author entries. Does that help?

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent book. You should read his other book, too, "Everything is Illuminated." It's a wonderful book, filled with a very touching story. Interesting fact: Jonathan Safran Foer is married to Nicole Krauss who wrote "The History of Love."

LoryKC said...

I started Everything is Illuminated but did not finish...I'll have to get back to that one but I will certainly have to check this one out--thanks!!