Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Monday, September 03, 2007

Just call me Plumber

There's nothing like getting up close and personal with the plumbing to make one feel like a committed home owner.

Or perhaps... a home owner that ought to be committed.

Even though I had said it would be a couple of months, Saturday somehow got penciled in as "the big day" when our family would have a bath tub again. Since we are a one bathroom household, we knew from the beginning we'd have to plan carefully. It wasn't a project we could stop in the middle of since it first involved tearing up about 3/4 of the bathroom floor (rotting from water leaks we can blame on the previous owners) and replacing and reinforcing it (the floor that was there was extremely thin - 5/8 inch. This meant removing the old shower, sink, and toilet. Then we removed the offending plywood floor, replumbed for the bathtub, replaced the floor, and finally installed the bathtub and reinstalled the toilet.

It's true... I may have missed my calling.

We went from tear down to back up and functioning in under 16 hours. A long day of work, for sure, but lots of satisfaction in having done it ourselves.

I rather enjoyed myself and I'm now on to the dreaming about finishing touches stage. I still need to pick a replacement sink. The shower part is kind of rigged for the moment, but the solid floor sure feels good under the feet. I didn't realize just how bouncy the old one was until I go in there now and -- hey! I'm not bouncing!

Then there will be tile and paint and a new window. I think we will be calling our favorite electrician in to help with some wiring needs. As hubby says, if you screw up the plumbing, you just get wet. Bad wiring might be a whole nother level of bad. None-the-less... I've been reviewing a how-to-wire book my dad gave me...

No comments: