Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Friday, November 23, 2007

The dog ate my to-do list.

I generally consider myself a fairly relaxed person. I don't tend to get overly excited about things. I'm not prompted, easily, into hostile action. I like to make plans, but I can generally change my plans without my life falling apart.

But yesterday, when I found about 1/5 of my weekly to-do list in Nancy's (the pup's) mouth, I have to admit that I nearly had a coronary. My to-do list is kind of a ritual, you see. It's my brain on paper... as pretty as it sounds. It's what allows me to live a relaxed and laid back lifestyle. I know the important stuff is all on that piece of paper each week, so I don't have to stress my head trying to remember what I need to get done or who I need to talk to.

At the beginning of each week, I take inventory of the previous week's list and get my universe in order. In a glance, I can see what major events I need to know about each day (appointments, visits with friends, planned road trips, clubs and meetings). I can see what work I have due and in what order I should focus on completing it. I have a place for notes should new work come along. I have a place for projects to work on between the more important work with deadlines.

Only 1/5th of my list was rescued. That means the dog ate 4/5ths of my life on paper. She disturbed my order. She shook my universe. I squalled and hollered like a madwoman for a few minutes. She just blinked at me with her brown puppy eyes... and smacked a bit more on the precious paper that was stuck to her lip.

Luckily... the initial list is created on the computer. I was able to print myself another copy and I recreated my notes as well as I could remember. Then I decided the destruction of my original to-do list was a good excuse to just do nothing for a day.

I'm well rested... well read... and I've spent a bit of time playing with that naughty puppy today. And now my new to-do list is tucked in a much safer spot... I hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh, no palm pilot or blackberry???

Tracy Million Simmons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy Million Simmons said...

Imagine the hissy I'd have to throw if the dog ate my palm pilot! More expensive... plus probably a trip to the vet as I can't imagine a palm pilot would go down as smoothly as paper. To-do lists are supposed to remain low-tech... I'm pretty sure. ;-)