Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sunday Book Review: Giants of Science

Leonardo da Vinci
Isaac Newton
Biographies 1 and 2 of the Giants of Science series by Kathleen Krull

These two books are more treasure found while just browsing the library shelves. I picked up the second book in the series, on Isaac Newton, because I’ve always really enjoyed the history of science. I was delighted to find such an excellent biography written for children that didn’t candy coat the life of Sir Isaac (he was easily as eccentric as he was brilliant).

The kids and I had come upon Leonardo da Vinci, however, via other studies and the girls were just as anxious as I was to read Kathleen Krull’s first book in the Giants of Science series. Having done a little more reading about da Vinci on my own, I was again very pleased at the accuracy of this biography.

Krull is very good at tying the science and history together in ways that make the stories both readable and educational. She gives you a good solid setting for the times these men lived so that you can understand the significance of their studies and achievements. We tend to think of Leonardo as an artist, yet he spent the last 30 years of his life studying everything from astronomy to paleontology.

I think these books are as enjoyable for adults as they are for kids. I, for one, learned a lot. I have also enjoyed all the questions these books have led my kids to ask. We’ve gotten many more hours of enjoyment and exploration than just reading the books. I wouldn’t be surprised if these are books we come round to again at a later date.

The third book in the series is about Sigmund Freud. I don’t know if my kids will be interested, but I’m looking forward to the perspective Krull will add to my arsenal of Freud facts. It’s been a few years… and I can’t say that I’ve missed the old boy at all. But the fact that Krull picked Freud as her third subject in the series definitely gets my attention.

No comments: