Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday Book Review: The Consumer’s Guide to Effective Environmental Choices

The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists, by Michael Brower, Ph.D. and Warren Leon, Ph.D. (1999)

The Consumer’s Guide is an older book, but aside from a few references that are obviously dated, I found it to be exactly as the title promises – full of down-to-earth, practical advice.

I guess I’ll start by saying I’ve been feeling a little super-charged by the whole recycling thing. As I get more and more organized, I find the family is pitching in without being prompted and everyone is starting to think in terms of what can be recycled. We start composting again this week – something we did regularly when we were rural, but I was not comfortable doing it in the city with such a teeny yard and close neighbors. Here we are in town, but we have plenty of yard space. You know, I’ve always recycled something with at least half an effort. Generally my focus has been on aluminum cans and/or newspapers, but I can’t say I ever had any heart for making sure I was consistent.

But I went looking for this book because I was looking for the next step. I like recycling, but I want to do more – go bigger and better. And wouldn’t you know it, the book starts out, more or less, discussing garbage issues… and the short of the matter is that there aren’t garbage issues… at least, not in a huge save-the-world sort-of-way.

Not that the book discourages recycling (although it did deflate my balloon a little)…

The four reasons to read this book (according to this book) are:


  1. It will help you set priorities.
  2. It will help you stop worrying about insignificant things.
  3. It is based on extensive analysis of how everyday household decisions actually effect the environment.
  4. It is backed by the research and credibility of the Union of Concerned Scientists.

I’m glad I read the book for the following reasons:

  1. It DID help me to understand the biggest threats to the environment and to start to think in terms of long-term changes I can make that will make the biggest differences.
  2. It helped me put aside a lot of the guilt I think I was building up in my mind for having considered the environment (i.e. Global Warming) a problem that was too big for my individual efforts to make any difference.
  3. I learned a lot about garbage/recycling. My desire to continue these efforts have been reinforced, but I am relieved to discover that militant recycling efforts are not necessary for saving the world.
  4. It’s given me new impetus to refocus on an old dream. Hubby has long been interested in more sustainable methods of agriculture and has actually put a lot of time and energy into its study. When we first returned to Kansas (10 years ago!) we actually thought our lives were headed in that direction – raising our own beef, pork, poultry and putting some efforts into gardening. I see that taking a little different direction now, but I can no longer, with good conscience, support traditional methods of factory farming. There are alternatives and I plan to find a way to make them work for our family.

A Summary of the Big Issues:
Big issue #1

“Our findings indicate that household use of transportation, ranging from recreational boating to cars to passenger air travel, is responsible for 28 to 51 percent of greenhouse gases and air pollution and 23 percent of toxic water pollution.”

Big issue #2

Food production has a pervasive impact on the environment. About 60 percent of our country’s land area is devoted either to crops or livestock grazing, often greatly diminishing its ability to support natural wildlife. Then there are the effects of fertilizers, pesticides, animal wastes, and erosion on water quality, not to mention methane emissions from rice production and ruminant livestock and air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from energy use.”

Big Issue #3
“Three areas of household operations appear to place by far the greatest burden on the environment: (1) heating, hot water, and air conditioning; (2) appliances and lighting; and (3) water, sewage, and solid waste disposal. The first two categories contribute the most to greenhouse gas emissions…”

Now I’m left to consider the many ways I can make changes based on these big issues. I’ve spent a lot of time in recent days pondering the realities of living a truly “green” lifestyle. Unfortunately, money is going to be the biggest obstacle to making immediate changes. I’m already not a big consumer of frivolous goods. In many ways, all the things Mom taught me about priorities in spending were right on.

For now I guess I’m going to have to be content with all the little actions I can take. Switching out incandescent light bulbs for energy star qualified fluorescent bulbs. Lowering our standard room temperature for winter-time heating and raising it a bit for summer-time air conditioning. Reducing my water consumption (my biggest personal weakness). Walking or biking when we can (we are in an excellent location for this – everything in town is so accessible here). Continuing to make responsible choices as a consumer. Prioritizing bigger ticket items with a plan for replacing or upgrading inefficient appliances and vehicles.

Oh, and using my voice. I'm tired of being the nice girl from Kansas who doesn't speak up when she disagrees. I'm going to talk about it more. I still believe actions speak louder than words, but sometimes you have to use words to explain your actions.

Anyway, the book was worth the read and it should be widely available at any library. I recommend it for anyone who is looking for a way to focus their efforts. It’s good to get a perspective on the hype and myth that is often created by the media. The website is an excellent resource, as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good information. I may have to read this when I get a chance.