Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday Book Review: Harvey & Eck

Harvey & Eck, by Erin O’Brien

I really needed a feel-good book and in Harvey & Eck, I found one. Oddly enough, a day or two before I picked up this book, hubby and I had a conversation about the possibilities of a book where the story was told entirely by letters. This was that book and it was VERY well done.

Harvey is a 30-something woman who has just discovered she is pregnant. This part of the story, frankly, gave me pause initially. She was married, but mourning the loss of a lover (he said so-long when he found out about the pregnancy). Feeling she has no one in her life to share with, she randomly picks a name out of the phonebook and begins a correspondence that will carry her through her pregnancy.

Her pen-friend, Eck, is a middle-aged librarian who finds Harvey’s letters an unwelcome intrusion into the monotonous routine of life that he counts on. Though he doesn’t have a return address, he begins responding to Harvey’s letters out of a sense of proper etiquette.

Through the course of their exchanges (which are technically one-sided, since Harvey is not actually reading Eck’s responses as the book progresses), I was delighted to witness the growth and change in Eck. Things for Harvey turn out okay, as well.

Harvey & Eck is a happily-ever-after book that won’t disappoint.

I’ll be watching for more to come from this author.

Erin O’Brien
The Erin O’Brien Owner’s Manual for Human Beings

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok..don't EVER that to me again!! I clicked on your blog and it was all different and for a moment I was confused and I just can't handle any more confusion than I already seem to experience on a daily basis!!! (just joking, sorta:-)I like the change

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Yes, I've been fiddling with my blog. Should take the time to just design the thing myself from scratch... but this was easier and attractive enough (I hope).

Erin O'Brien said...

Wow.

Thanks Tracy from Kansas. This means the world to me.

Your in letters,

Erin O'Brien