Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Just when you think you know what they are about...

This morning I took the kids to the skating rink... only Kaman had decided he didn't want to skate. I told him to load up his backpack with stuff we could do at a table and that he and I would sit in the concession area and just watch. He was pleased with that idea and had his backpack LOADED in no time.

I didn't think much about what he had packed. I had assumed some dinosaur books (the only books he is paying any attention to for the moment) and probably some paper and pencils for drawing. This is our usual routine for away-from-home activity.

On the way into the rink, however, I grew a bit concerned. The pack was really loaded...

The girls got on their skates and Kaman found us a table. He had already unzipped his bag and was settling in.

"So what are we going to read?" I asked.

He pulled out a book... about hurricanes. I didn't even know we'd checked any books about hurricanes out. But there it was, a history of every major hurricane to have hit... well, anywhere, in the past couple hundred years.

"Okay," I said. I started thumbing through, looking at the pictures.

"Wait! Wait!" he got all excited and dove back into his bag. "I've got to get the table decorations out first."

From the depths of his bag he pulled a plastic pumpkin. A good-sized, light-up jack-o-lantern that he received as a gift last Halloween.

He sat it neatly in the middle of the table.

"Okay, now we can read," he said.

And read we did... when he wasn't taking breaks to dance to all that great skating music.

No comments: