Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Monday, August 08, 2005

On meeting the former girlfriend from high school...

This past weekend was the hubby's twenty year high school reunion. We're from the same high school. He was a senior when I was a freshman... so I knew most of the names. I knew, in fact, a surprising number of people there. And it was an enjoyable event, even though I had started developing butterflies about it a few days prior to actually going.

I had spent quite a bit of time giving him props about the reunion. Not that he had cold feet or anything... but, well, he thought about ditching the whole thing at least once. At some point it occurred to me, however, that SHE was going to be there. And it's not like either of us have any residual issues about past relationships... there are no secrets in this house. But this was the one, you know, who swept him off his feet... just a little, and broke his heart... just a little. And what I knew about her was this: blonde, beautiful, smart, athletic. I'll admit to playing a few headgames with myself and... yeah, I might have even felt a little intimidated. Perhaps I even secretly wished that she had gained a couple hundred pounds and lost all her hair. Just briefly... not seriously... I would never wish that, seriously, on another person.

Anyway, my anxieties were quelled early. We actually ran across her downtown, well before the reunion activities had even started. It was a funny feeling, really. I knew she was in the vicinity when I heard him sort of mutter, "Is that? Oh no! Its..." And then there she was, giving him a hug and for a moment I was back in junior high, wanting something to hide behind so that I could just observe. But I stepped up and played the adult I supposedly am.

She's still: blonde, beautiful, smart, athletic... and tall, I'd missed that one somehow. But mostly she was really nice... and I liked her immediately. Liked her even more when we met again at the reunion. And I didn't feel small or less than anything in her shadow.

No comments: