Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Random Question Meme

I saw this at Ron's blog. He probably doesn't even know I am a regular reader, but I left a comment anyway. It works like this:


  1. Leave me a comment saying anything random, like [the food you hate most in all the world]. Something random. Whatever you like.
  2. I respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better.
  3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
  4. You will include this explanation and offer to ask someone else in the post.
  5. When others comment asking to be asked, you will ask them five questions.


Now for my questions from Ron.

1- Have you started writing/planning any books?

Yes. In fact, I excel at starting/planning books. It's the long-term follow through that gets me. I seem to be improving with age, however. I am currently on the third draft of my third novel attempt.

2- Do you consider yourself to be a homeschooling activist?

I might qualify as a low-key activist. I'm not out there trying to convert anyone, but I enjoy providing support for those new to homeschooling and I'm happy to share resources and encouragement with anyone looking for alternatives. I started KSHomeschool.net a few years ago. Kansas is a very friendly state to homeschool in, but also rather conservative and traditional. The idea behind KSHomeschool.net was to create a community for homeschoolers with more eclectic approaches. It's been quite fun, and I've met people from across the state both online and in person. Our annual social gathering has grown from a small group of 15 the first year to more than 140 last year (our third year). I look for it to grow even more in 2008.

3- Firefox or Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer.

4- Have you started planning your next vacation?

The planning for the next one almost always starts with the current one. In fact, we are planning to attend a Dog Party in Illinois in October. The kids and I are travelling with the pooch. Poor kitty will have to stay at home.

5- What is the most memorable homeschooling book you’ve read?

Tough question. I suppose the books by John Holt (specifically How Children Learn and Learning All the Time) that I read early on were key reads for getting me to the place I am today. I still recommend Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense, by David Guterson to parents who ask questions about homeschooling.

I honestly don't read that many homeschooling books these days. I enjoy the interactions on a few email lists and get to enjoy regular get-togethers with members of our area homeschool networks. Most recent as far as books, I have enjoyed Rue Kream's Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooled Life. I knew of Rue through an email list I was on years ago when I was trying to figure out where homeschooling was going to take me. It was fun to pick up her book and see where her journey had taken her.


Don't forget to leave your random thought and I'll ask you some questions!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh..."blab"

LoryKC said...

I love strawberries but I hate strawberry desserts/drinks/gum/etc.

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Questions for BS:

1 - What is the best vacation you have been on, the one you'd most want to repeat?

2 - If you couldn't have a dog, what would be your next pet of choice?

3 - Does your personality change when you go by your first name vs. your second?

4 - Do you ever miss having a cow to milk?

5 - What do you suppose started your love affair with shoes?

Questions for LoryKC:

1 - In what genre would you categorize your novel-in-progress?

2 - What is the best parenting or baby book that you have read?

3 - What is your best advice for getting out and meeting people when you move to a new town?

4 - How does Indiana compare to Kansas?

5 - Is everything prepped and ready for Little Bean's arrival or do you still have lists of stuff to buy and organize?

LoryKC said...

I finally managed to post mine tonight! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

"We have limes to feed apes!"

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Melissa's Questions:

1 - Assume time, money, and family commitments are not an issue; given the chance to dedicate one year of service to any cause, what would you do?

2 - What is the most recent thing you have learned from your children?

3 - What was the last fiction book you read?

4 - If some rats and some hos went on a vacation that you had to plan, where would they go?

5 - What is your "issue" for the coming presidential election?