Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Timeless Tuesday: One Regret



It was 1987.
The week prior to homecoming.
Every day had a theme.
We dressed in unusual ways.
Friday was Punk Day.
I was in the spirit of things.
Apparently the only kid at school who was.
I dressed like this.
The shirt was royal purple satin.
The skirt was lilac... lace.
It probably wasn't punk, but was as close as the clothes available to me got.
Everyone else was in their normal jeans and sneakers.
By 2nd hour, my anxiety was so great... I thought I'd actually be ill.
I borrowed a friend's gym shoes.
Another friend's pair of blue jeans.
By 10 am, I looked like the rest of them.
More like myself.
But still uncomfortable because the borrowed shoes were a size and a half too small.
If I could go back in time.
I'd wear this outfit all day long.
And maybe other days, as well.
I looked awesome.
I wish I'd had the confidence, then, to carry it off.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa - hot girl! You look great!

Anonymous said...

I'd say! I never heard this story. You know I wasn't original/daring enough to stick out to participate in punk day! Great story and you looked awesome! Melissa

LoryKC said...

Just make tomorrow "punk day" again! ;)

Samantha said...

You looked great. We need to get all punked up and go out somewhere! I'm still thinking about dyeing my hair purple.

Anonymous said...

Where you at?
M