Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday Book Review: From Emporia...




by Beverley Olson Buller


This was the book I wasn't supposed to buy the day I took the kids downtown for Emporia's Main Street Market a couple of weeks ago. Actually, I wasn't supposed to buy anything. I even went sans wallet to force myself to be good. Dear daughter, however, had her money along. This book was on my wish list and... well, you know I can't pass up an opportunity to get a book signed by the author...


This is Beverley Olson Buller - signing a book for the kids!

First, I have to say that this is one of the most beautiful books I own. The photographs, the paper, the layout... all beautiful. If I'm reading the credits correctly, kuddos go to Jean Dodd for the book design.

Many beautiful books, however, turn out to be just that. Fun to look at, but boring to read. This is NOT that kind of book. It is written with a young audience in mind, but I believe it will be a hit with older and even adult audiences. My young audience was pleased. I could tell they were tuned in as we read the book (in only two sittings) because of the questions and comments they've made since regarding William Allen White and the history of Emporia. Of course, they play in Peter Pan Park. They've visited the WAW house on multiple occasions. We've been to the newspaper office and looked in through the windows at his office space. They've had their pictures taken in front of his statue at the capitol building.

William Allen White is still a well-known name in Kansas. Here in Emporia, however, it is a name still spoken with a bit of reverence and awe. The local newspaper is still run by WAW's great-grandson -- how many family-run newspapers still exist in this country?

If you really aren't sure why William Allen White is such a well-known name, this biography puts it all in perspective. He wasn't just an editor and a Pulitzer Prize winning writer, he was a man passionate about the state of the world and the nation. Friend to presidents and political movers of his time, William Allen White had a voice that was well-respected.

My eleven-year-old especially enjoyed the book. Coincidentally, we've been studying the late 1800's and this book ties in so many names that she was already familiar with through recent interests and reading. This book helped us bring a Kansas perspective to the picture of the world we've been growing to understand. It was a timely addition to the home library for us.

Thank you, Beverley Olson Buller, for all the hard work and research you put into this wonderful book.

No comments: