Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dodge City, Western Kansas



Cheryl has been posting photos of western Kansas at Flyoverpeople.net. It got me to thinking of when I lived in Houston. I had one co-worker (born and raised) in Houston who was always asking me questions about Kansas. She couldn't fathom what it was like to grow up in a town of 18,000. (I think that's about how big Dodge City was when I graduated from high school.)

So on a trip home to visit (circa 1993), I took the following pictures. These are all photos of photos as my scanner isn't working and these were taken well before the days of digital photograhy. This was kind of my visual... what Dodge City was to me.


The Santa Fe Depot has been remodeled since this photo. The community theater now puts on productions there. Unfortunately, I have not visited since the work was completed.

The Stan Herd mural on the Fidelity State Bank. According to Cheryl's photo, it looks like it's Bank of America now.

This area has also been redone since 1993, but El Capitan is still there. I remember when they put him up. This is at the intersection of 2nd Street and Wyatt Earp Blvd.

The Arkansas River... bed.

And no Kansas town is complete without a grain elevator. The Sonic you see in front is one of the best in the state, as well. At least, it used to be. Of course, it occurs to me that fast food, in general, doesn't taste as good as it did when I was sixteen, so maybe it's a sign of my age rather than the Sonic establishements actually getting poorer.

Note about the photo group at the top. The brick streets are considered historical landmarks in Dodge City. I've seen them pulled up brick by brick to be cleaned and leveled, but they won't be replaced by standard asphalt anytime in the near future.

No comments: