Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

On Volunteering

This past weekend, I attended the annual Kansas Authors Club convention. In the past six years or so, I've only missed it once. This time, however, I wasn’t entirely looking forward to it. I had obligated myself through volunteer duties and ... let's just say that I have been known to dwell on things I "have" to do so much so that I sometimes end up resenting them, even when they are things I typically enjoy and choose to do freely. So I went, and probably not in the best frame of mind.

No worries – it all changed very, very quickly. On the first evening we were distributing awards for young writers from across the state. My part in the awards ceremony, along with taking photos of the actual event (the part I was a little anxious about), was that I had put together a book of the winning entries. One was given to every child. It was fun to do and wonderful to read all the entries. When the kids received them, however… wow! They would come to me with their award medals on ribbons around their necks and stand there flipping through the booklets as they waited for me to take group pictures. You could tell each time a kid found his or her own name in the book. It nearly made me tear-up just watching them.

All I can say is this -- if that is the reward for volunteering, I’ll gladly make it my job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew an English teacher in Dodge City who was very active in the organization you mentioned. I'm wondering if she is still in it, or still writing. Ullom? It was interesting hanging around with her - she always carried a little tablet and would whip it out and write down snippets of conversation she thought interesting. I made her booklet only twice! LOL
Magoo's Mom

Anonymous said...

let's just say that I have been known to dwell on things I "have" to do so much so that I sometimes end up resenting them...
Now where did WE get this from???