Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Oh... is it 2006?

I can't believe we are three days into 2006 and not a single one of the marvelous blog entries I've been composing in my head have actually made it here. Actually, I've had trouble recovering from the weekend festivities.

We spent the eve of New Year's Eve up building civilization with our good friend, Scotty. He popped in waiting for his wife and family to arrive the next day. For the actual changing of the year, we had an awesome kid party for our adopted nieces and nephews. I enjoyed myself enough I'm hoping to make it an annual event.

However, two nights in a row up well past midnight -- I've not yet reset my clock.

I always love a good new year. I have this entire December ritual that usually involves making new calendars for friends and family and a new datebook/schedule book for myself. The kids got involved this year and it's been so fun including them in my little "focus session" for the year. We've printed calendars with room to keep track of all of our activities as well as space to keep track of goals, remember events, etc. After binding, they all decorated their covers and now they are giving me a hard time because mine only says "Tracy" across the front. I keep telling them I have all year to decorate my cover.

Without my prompting, the girls wrote resolutions a couple of nights ago. The oldest resolves to "get a puppy" and "annoy my brother and sister twice as much" this year. My middle one ended up writing a rather emotional piece about the "death" of the old year and how sad it makes her. She ended with, "It's my misery and I will be okay." Where does this drama come from? (Okay -- perhaps I see some similarities, but I was like 15! before I used words like misery!)

Big changes are coming our way and I am really looking forward to them. We've got hubby on a daily study schedule for the bar exam. It almost feels like we're sending him off to work each day.

I'm currently devoting a bit of my energy to a new pet project. Please visit KSHomeschool.net if you are interested in that sort of thing. It's a work in progress, but it's there, none-the-less.

Happy New Year

1 comment:

Deeapaulitan said...

I like that your oldest sets both far reaching and easily attainable goals for herself! Both instant delayed gratification in the works. Smart kid! Are all middle children introspective? We spent the New Year's changing of the guard with friends in Portland, Oregon. Their middle one woke up on the 1st day of 2006 saying, "I just can't believe 2005 is gone... that's the last time the entire universe will ever experience it!" (She's 5.5) My middle one (14) held her on his lap and lamented with her... My oldest looked at me and said, "Gee, and my biggest concern this morning was that I have to be ready for Quantitative Comparisons on my SATs in 3 weeks." :)