Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

9 to 5

The last couple of days I have had a refresher course on why I don't do 9 to 5. Actually, it was a course on food handling -- good information for a Farmers Market Manager (or anyone, really) to have and part of getting the ball rolling for our community's incubator kitchen effort.

My butt hurts from all the sitting.

The first day was good in a something new to think about sort of way. The instructors were interesting and there were actually a number of topics that gave me the itch to dig a little deeper. I walked away inspired and with a few new ideas for the market. But today I think I suffered a bit from all the sitting the day before. The cups of coffee didn't quite have the effect I was hoping for...maybe they slipped some decaf in... I just ended up having to go to the bathroom a lot. My concentration levels were very near nil.

Meanwhile, the kids have been assigning themselves daily chores and projects and holding themselves accountable. They impress me. They really do. I wouldn't chose being away from them all day on a regular basis, but it does give me new perspective to be away. I kind of enjoy coming back and getting "filled in" on what they've been up to. There is usually something about their day that surprises me. About the time I got home today, for instance, Middle Munchkin was throwing in a load of laundry and, um... talking to herself. I stepped close enough to hear that she was repeating phrases in French. Cool.

Munchkin Boy was building a toothpick and hot glue sculpture. Munchkin #1 had made a batch of no-bake cookies. I made a big pot of chili and pretty much vegged my way through the rest of the evening. There was lots I could have/should have been doing, but mostly I just wanted to sit and exist in my space with my people nearby.

We received quite a bit of snow Sunday night through Monday and today it just remained down right frigid out. Tomorrow it's back to my regular schedule. Me in control, for the most part, of the schedule anyway.

My own 9 to 5s are so much easier to take.

No comments: