Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Newest Writer Crush

For Christmas I got a gift certificate from Amazon and I must have spent days and days "shopping" for books. I couldn't decide what I wanted to spend my money on. I bookmarked everything from chic lit to classic literature. I contemplated memoirs and biographies, but also salivated over non-fiction topics like contemporary politics (yes, me!) and genetics and etymology. Buying a book feels like such an event these days. It's one of those things I gave up for budget-keeping purposes and I've grown quite adept, as if this were ever a problem, of taking full advantage of my library's resources. 


I love, love, love the feel of a book in my hand, however. I love the feel of the pages, the smell of the ink, and the extra weight a book adds to my bag when I carry it around just in case I have a moment to pull out a book and read it. So buying myself books was an extra special treat and I wanted to savor every moment. I wanted to select just the right books.


I succeeded. 


In all my browsing and bookmarking and reading first chapters... I came across Amy. Amy's name wasn't exactly new to me. I've come across The Mother's Guide to the Meaning of Life at least a dozen times and I've probably read near half the entries while standing in an aisle.


I also remember picking up Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life a few times. Unfortunately, I've been on my self-imposed book buying ban for a while now and I somehow never managed to run across these at the library. I somehow came across Amy's name via one of my keywords I typed into Amazon, hoping to hit upon just the right combination to inspire me to spend my gift certificate. Then I googled her and browsed her websites and finally realized that I had also recently come across her name here. I figured it was fate. I ended up with a fat envelope of Amy Krouse Rosenthal books from Amazon.


And I have not been disappointed. 


Amy's books are the best kind of candy. They are filled with sweet, yet thoughtful, and they leave you feeling good about the world in general. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've lost weight since my package arrived because I've been eating Amy's books instead of candy. Win-Win.


I have not survived against all odds. I have not witnessed the extraordinary. I have not lived to tell. This, this is my story.
~Amy Krouse Rosenthal 




Love it!

Fun! A mother I can relate to.



LOL! Especially love this one!

The title, in case you can't read from the image: The same phrase describes my marriage and my breasts: Before the kids, they used to be such a cute couple.

Bonus: Amy will be speaking at a TEDx event on February 25. I'm assuming we'll be able to view these online. I'll be watching for it.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Her Encylopedia book is one of my favorite books of all time. It's a book I wish I'd written.