Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

July 24th

So my friend, Samantha, suggested that perhaps it's time to pull out the giving thanks journal. I don't actually have one, but I've often made a habit of writing three good things from each day on my calendar. I was looking back this evening to see that I haven't written anything since May 16th.

On that day, I noted that I'd submitted five entries to the Kansas Authors Club Literary Contest, I had a sparkly clean bathroom, and middle munchkin had made the most delicious sugar cookies. I know that there has been a lot to be thankful about since then. Of course, I often blog about good things. Perhaps entirely even. I believe it is a strategy, at times, to seek the good and amplify it through focus. If I write about it, the moment is preserved. It allows the less positive moments to slip on by, eventually to be... forgotten?

Today was my mom's birthday.

I am thankful that I had my mom through 27 birthdays.

I am thankful to have had a mom who believed in me and thought me capable of doing great things.

I am thankful for all the memories she left me; horse-back riding, bicycle rides to the cemetery, exploring the countryside, playing fox and goose in the snow, swinging in the rafters of the old barn, reading stories in her bed and listening to music, all the artsy/craftsy projects she shared with me, homemade biscuits and gravy for breakfast, all those clothes she sewed for me as a kid (even my underwear!), letting me drive down country roads even before I had my license, the fantastic letters she wrote me through college and the years we lived in Texas, playing at the beach (she loved the beach - it terrified me!)...

Mom and Me, 1973


Mom and Me, 1995


Mom and Charles (circa 1982?)


Mom getting a kiss from our new baby, Sombra. (circa 1986)

The list is endless... and I am thankful for it.

No comments: