Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday Book Review: Diary of a German War Bride

Trudy McFarland is one of the many wonderful and inspirational people I have met through the Kansas Authors Club. I had the pleasure of listening to her read a selection from her book as it was in progress a couple of years ago. When her book was selected for the Coffin Memorial Book Award at the KAC Convention in October of 2006, I had to pick up a signed copy to add to my growing Kansas author collection.

I knew from my preview that Trudy’s book was bound to tug at the heart strings. She’d brought me near tears with the excerpt I’d heard her read. What I didn’t expect was for the book to be such a page-turner. Starting on the 7th birthday of Barbara Wagner McFarland, Trudy’s mother, the book tells the story of a family in little snippets in the form of diary entries, both personal and historical in context. Once I got into the book a couple of chapters, I found myself thankful for a snow day when I was able to just curl up and indulge myself by finishing the book in just one day.

What I really appreciate about Diary of a German War Bride is the honesty I found between the pages. Just as one would expect to find in a diary, this was a story of real people, through good times and bad, and the painful moments weren’t glossed over or romanticized. Barbara loved her family and had difficulties with various members at times, as well.

Barbara’s story left me feeling hopeful – perhaps old wounds do heal. Scars may be inevitable, but family is always family. I found myself eagerly trying to memorize the name of each grandchild and great-grandchild, thinking how awesome a legacy just two people can leave. In the end, I wept through Barbara’s final diary entries, feeling as if I was saying goodbye to a friend, as well.

I know I will want to hug Trudy McFarland the next time I see her for sharing her mother’s story in such a beautiful and lasting way. She has created a treasure for more than just her family, but for anyone who appreciates real character and real story. I am so pleased to have this one on my bookshelf.
____________________________________
Diary of a German War Bride, priced at $22.95, can be purchased at the following locations in Topeka, Kansas: The Collective Gallery, McFarland's Restaurant, SouthWind Gallery at Framewoods, Dr. Charles LaValley, Merle Norman Cosmetics Studio and Booktique in the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library.

No comments: