Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Friday, March 16, 2012

St. James Day and Other Thoughts

Today is St. James Day, a holiday in our family that my brother-in-law made up. In this house, we take it more seriously than just about any other holiday. Food. Friends. Basketball on the television. Lots of gabbing. Kids running through and around the house. It's the one day a year that I can pretty much guarantee my husband won't go into work.

And just like any big event, I find myself mourning a bit when it's over. As people start to pack up and think about heading home, there's a little voice inside of me crying, "No! Don't go! Don't let the fun end yet!!"

When everyone had left, I loaded up the dishwasher, cleaned the serving table off, folded it, and put it away. The basketball wasn't over yet, but the kids were exhausted enough from their day of playing tag and shooting basketballs that they've showered and tucked themselves away in their respective beds without so much as a goodnight.

A big weekend remains with a farmers market tomorrow and the St. Patrick's Day parade. The kids are serving at a community dinner tomorrow evening. The market's annual meeting will take place on Sunday. I'm almost ready for the festivities and am already anticipating the calm that will inevitably come after a weekend so packed full of activity, though the full and busy feels quite satisfying, at the moment, as well.

1 comment:

BS said...

Traditions are so wonderful, makes
one feel a part of something.