Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bonus... He's a Great Dad, Too

Way back when I was dating this man and things were getting serious, I never once wondered what kind of dad he would be.



It wasn't something I thought about because children really weren't something I thought about. If I thought about them at all, I thought I didn't want them. Many people are surprised to hear that, but at the age of twenty, children seemed like more responsibility and commitment than I was willing or capable of handling. The hubby and I were pretty much in agreement from the start that children weren't in our future.

If I had to give a list of reasons why I married this man back then, I would have said first that he was easy to talk to and also my best friend. We had a lot of fun together and it seemed from the start that we could dream together and make our dreams come true together. I guess it was apparent right away that we made a pretty good team, and I am happy we spent several years working on being a team together before we brought children into the picture.

Becoming parents was a big step for us. A well considered and planned step, though it didn't, after all, necessarily go exactly as we planned once our minds had been made up. It was as if in turning the corner from not wanting kids to deciding maybe we'd be capable parents after all, some force greater than ourselves stepped in and said, "Okay, but this is how/when/where... just cool it with your master planning...."

And it was better than we ever could have planned or imagined it.

Munchkin #1 taught us even more about teamwork, and in the blink of an eye we had Munchkins 2 and 3. And that feeling that it was right and good and exactly what we should be doing, when we should be doing it has never really left.

I used to tell hubby that I knew he was the right man for me when I realized I could sing in front of him without feeling the slightest bit of embarrassment. Now I tell him I know he is the right man for me because... well... just look at our kids. If they don't speak about how we were meant to be, I can't imagine what would.

Becoming a parent with this man is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life, possibly topping the decision to marry him in the first place.

Happy Father's Day to my best friend. I'm not afraid to show my bias -- to the best Dad I know.


















3 comments:

Nancy said...

What a nice tribute to your husband. He sounds like a Keeper.

www.writergrannysworld.blogspot.com

DuckieMom said...

LIKE!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww!