Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Friday, October 22, 2010

From a tired but content mind...

I'm feeling warm and fuzzy about life this evening after having spent the day with good friends and watching my kids have a fantastic afternoon with the kids of those friends. Warm and fuzzy, yet a little bit sad at the same time. Thinking a lot about the past and other friends I don't see these days as much as it seems I ought to. Thinking a lot about the passing of time and getting older and how everything changes so quickly. Especially kids -- teens who were little kids when I met them, little kids who were babies, mommas with babies who were teens.... just moments ago, when I met them.

I still don't know how it is that I turned into one of the adults in these situations. I don't know when I stopped being one of the new moms on the block and became one of the older moms who has been around the block a few times. I don't know when I stopped being that young adult with so many plans and promises in my heart.

The kids went out today, playing in a nearby park. Moms chattered around the table, but the silence eventually became noticeable. In a good way, no worries. Just different than our gatherings used to be, when the kids stayed more or less underfoot. Closer to home, anyway. Now they wander near and far, sometimes by foot, sometimes by car. And we are thankful for this community we have created where the kids mingle and interact and are as comfortable with one mom as the next. When they all swarmed back into the house at once, the air was so charged with their energy. Voices and laughter. It took my breath away a little. So much youth. So much promise. So much beauty. So much ahead of them. They are looking forward, and I find myself looking back, hoping that I captured enough glimpses that I will always remember these moments.

No comments: