Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Monday, May 25, 2009

Half a Night Under the Stars

Saturday evening we had a fire built in the pit in the back yard so we had to make some s'mores. I'm one of those odd people who doesn't actually care much for s'mores. I'm not a big marshmallow fan. But I do enjoy the chocolate and the graham crackers and the fire, so I'm always up for it when the kids start talking about roasting marshmallows.

We had some clouds passing over which turned into a game of what-do-you-see. Middle Munchkin, Munchkin Boy and I played for a long time along with occasional games of crack the egg and flip the bacon on the trampoline. By then it was getting dark enough that we decided to see who could spot the first star. We ended up with sleeping bags on the trampoline, a little sleeping, and a fine spread of night sky above us before it was all over.

At 2am I decided I had to go inside. It wasn't too cold, but everything was damp and when you are trying to sleep outside at our house it feels as if a train roars by every three seconds! I'm pretty sure my eyes were open more than they were shut. I was very thankful for my warm, dry bed and the isolation these old walls provide against the sounds of the trains that travel back and forth, back and forth... all night long.

No comments: