Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Friday, March 27, 2009

Thunder Snow

The weatherman was actually using the term "thunder snow" last night. I had never realized snow and thunder could come together until I moved to this greener, wetter side of Kansas. In western Kansas, rain and snow are generally slightly more distinct entities.

At this point, it’s just wet here. Our backyard has a little lake forming. Someday we’ll have to do something about our backyard landscaping, because it always holds the water and gets muddy at exactly the same time that I’m really not wanting to take the dogs on long, leisurely walks.

I figured the weatherman was serious last night when the schools in western Kansas were announcing closings for today by 6pm yesterday. As of 8am this morning, all roads in southwest Kansas were reported as partly to completely snow packed, with blowing snow across the region.

I’m not exactly looking forward to it, but I added some errands to the schedule this morning and am already prepping a pot of chili for this evening.

Spring snow storms… gotta love ‘em.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was in university I was in Latin class and there was a huge snow squall with white-out conditions. And then the lightning started and all the white snow lit up blue. It was *amazing*

Sandra Dodd said...

I would love to see that someday. I love exotic weather stories! We get good lightning, and beautiful dry snow, but not at the same time.

I didn't know rain could be warm until I was rained on while camping in Pennsylvania once. In New Mexico, rain is always cold, no matter how warm the day.