Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Friday, January 23, 2009

Look!! I have flowers!

Proof that even I can learn new tricks.


I bought two geraniums at the Farmer's Market shortly after we moved to Emporia. In the 2.5 years since, I've nearly killed them at least a half-dozen times. I often forget to water them. In anticipation of a lovely spring last year, I set them out a bit too early (at least, I'm supposing it was a freeze that made them look so bad when I remembered to check on them a few weeks later). They spent one winter neglected entirely because I hadn't quite planned on letting them hibernate, but I also hadn't planned on a way to keep them alive.

None-the-less, they continue to come back with a little TLC each time it occurs to me and meager as their foliage may be, I've managed to keep them green.

The last time my sister visited I asked for explicit instructions for storing them through the winter. She told me where to sit them. How to water them. And I've been faithful to them all winter long.

I have blooms for the first time. It took me 2.5 years, but I have blooms with the promise of many more to come.

I'm also managing to keep a peace lily alive. It's a giant, gorgeous plant that I really don't have room for, but I'm determined to keep it going. So far, so good.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! It's the littlest successes in life that are the most exciting sometimes! Here's to your new-found green thumb! I do not have even ONE plant indoors- that ought to tell you something about my green thumb (or lack, thereof!)

Anonymous said...

Our mom wrote and grew plants.
LS writes, BS grows plants.
Does this mean BS has to start
writing now???