Pages

You can now find me writing here...

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Timeless Tuesday: Camp

Ford County Lake ~ The site of 4-H Camp when I was a kid. Later they moved the camp experience to the community college dorms. I didn't attend by then, but thought it really must have cheapened the experience. The last time I was there (probably 10 years ago or more), Ford County Lake barely qualified as more than a mud hole. It was completely grown up in weeds and you could practically drive a vehicle all the way across it.

Way back in the day, 4-H camp was one of the highlights of my summer. I didn't attend as a camper until I was about 12. I was a late bloomer, I guess, but it was enough to get me hooked, and I attended every year after that as a camp counselor. So I've been reminiscing about camp experiences this past week -- telling the kids about the fun of canoeing, archery, nature walks, and kp duty!


I went to look for photos today, and this is about all I came up with. I guess I spent so much time at camp having fun, I didn't stop to document it. My camera habit wasn't fully developed back then.



Room mates at camp -- circa 1984... note that we even took the time to hang our Rick Springsteen posters on the walls!

1 comment:

Callie Lyons said...

Dearest Tracy,

Even though I didn't attend camp at the lake, I've been thinking about it lately. (Something about our upcoming high school reunion and things that used to happen there under the stars about twenty years ago.)

Thanks for the photos to refresh my tired memory. I loved this blog.

Warmest,
Callie